Friday, December 16, 2011

Bad Punchline: Easter Eggs

As I told my friend Chris yesterday: "I fulfilled some elusive unstated objective in a game I've been playing for a while and now for the first time in the game I am required to make some kind of economic decision that might have some affect on my stats for the rest of the game. What do I do? There's a 'menu' of options." To which he responded: "Okay. What is the menu?" And my reply to that: "Many investment institutions with long incomprehensible names." Which prompted him to express his confusion and wonder what game I was playing. I explained to him that I got a mysterious letter that showed up not through the mail but as if by magic informing me I now met the requirements (whatever they were) necessary to create a 401(k) though my place of employment. After a brief break so he could get lunch I told Chris that the menu options did not seem appetizing.  Then I listed them off to him: "Money Market" "Bond" "Balanced" "Large Cap" "Mid/Small Cap" "International" He agreed that they weren't appetizing. After discussing each of them I concluded that "it is better to not bother because it would be like a savings account but really irritating to get money out of" and Chris concluded that I should watch the news instead of reading books about the economy. I decided to call it even and play Skyrim instead because at least it would have better easter eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment