Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Meaning of 'meh'

My mother was cool enough to get me a t-shirt bearing one of my favorite interjections for my birthday. White letters on a black t-shirt that just says 'meh.' Though you might not find 'meh' in a hardbound dictionary typing 'define: meh' into Google brings back nearly seventy-two million results the first one of which is more or less how I've always defined the word. Even though I'm sure I've used it in conversation unconsciously on dozens of occasions with all sorts of different people without any communication problems within two wearings of the shirt I'd been asked four times what in the world 'meh' meant. Maybe it's the little bit of 'teacher' my mother managed to build around the seething ball of frustrated impatience for a lack of understanding that I inherited from my father but I explained patiently and thoroughly what 'meh' meant to each person that wanted to know. But even though I gave them the correct answer I almost wish I hadn't. I could have said anything- anything at all and they would have assumed I was correct. So I decided to amuse myself for a few minutes with coming up with some responses to the inevitable 'what does "meh" mean' that I'm going to get the next time I wear it.

Malicious Emo Hipster
Managably Erratic Hypothalamus
Marketing Event Horizon
Making Everything Horizontal
Malignant Electrodactylic Hypertension
Massive Esoteric Hashish
Mildly Exclusive Histrionics
More Evil Harpies
Missing Every Happiness
Munchies Every Hour
Men Eating Hashbrowns
Most Entertaining Happenstance

Got any other suggestions for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment