Thursday, June 23, 2011

Seuss-Style Birthday

Ah, yeah, so this is a Dr. Seuss style birthday poem I wrote. I may, at some point in the future, make it longer and find an illustrator so it can be a children's book. We'll see. This is for my mum whose birthday is today. I had the idea for it yesterday and wrote it today. I'm told it sounds like I was going for so I guess it worked out well.


today is your birthday no matter how old
or how bold, cold, bitter, or if you glitter
(as some faeries do in the highlands of Tenatee
when they turn twenty-three.)

today is your birthday- the day you were born
so here is a shoe horn, a cream horn, and a gilorn
(which is like a kazoo but made just for you by the boys in DuBois)
and I'll even play the french horn
if you don't mind that my music most people call noise

today is your birthday so you ought to have fun
in the sun or enjoy a new toy
unless you would rather just blather and bluster
because after all today is for you
(and not for Lou or Sue or Jimmiky-kew)

today is your birthday- that one day a year
when cake, balloons, ice cream and presents
just seem to appear whenever you're near
so take advantage- go out and about
and spread the good cheer to all you hold dear

today is your birthday- today and not another
it's not a day like every other
it is a special day in each and every way
because whatever you say and whatever you do
you are a very special you
aproximately one in sixty-five hundred thousand thousand
people are precisely like you
so enjoy this day- the day of your birth
because today is your birthday
(at least here on earth)

No comments:

Post a Comment