Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Beer is Disgusting

As part of my whole... (here I would like to make some kind of vague hand-gesture but find this difficult to represent in text) I'm going to write more in general. I wanted to start reviewing the books I read again.

I just read I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell and Assholes Finish First, both by Tucker Max.

I'd like to present the books from a two very different viewpoints because I feel conflicted and I don't think I could take one stance.

On one hand they are highly offensive to women and deplorable on many levels. The fact that there are thousands of men (and women) who consider this man their hero and idolize his behavior is disgusting. He behaves as though the world revolves around him. He consumes a great deal of alcohol and has slept with women numbering in the low triple digits. He is not the kind of role model you would want your fourteen-year-old son looking up to.

On the other hand some of his stories are both fantastic (in the sense that they are hard to believe and not in an exclamatory sense) and hilarious. My stomach muscles hurt from laughing so hard at certain points during the books. His writing style is more or less expository. He is writing a story as he (and other first-person accounts) remember it and he mentions that certain things included in the stories he doesn't remember at all. He wraps up the stories with finesse and knows how to set up his jokes for maximum impact. He is also highly intelligent and insults people in ways that are both demeaning as well as intellectual. One quote from a friend of his in a story goes something like: "Are you actually quoting Chinese philosophy at me right now?"

If you're thinking about buying this for yourself I would recommend reading some excerpts first to decide if you like it. If you're thinking about buying one for someone else I would say that you need to not only have already read it but also know your intended audience very well lest you seriously offend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment